Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010

But let me start from the beginning …

I started my road trip on the 26.12.2009 at 3:25 in the morning to get the highway discount and not to stuck in traffic … And I didn’t! A Japanese friend of mine joined me for the first 4 days. That was so good because she knew some of the places and for sure her Japanese skills are a bit better then mine.

The ride to Hiroshima was smooth and easy. The only problem & confusion I had where the speed limit signs … 50 & 80 km/h max???? Difficult to stick to that coming from the Autobahn culture with no limits!


°°°


The first stop was Hiroshima.

I guess I don’t have to explain a lot about it?

But I think it’s one of the places you have to see if you come to Japan. I didn’t know what to expect. Lots of feelings, expectations and images rushed through my mind when I made the decision to go there, trying to understand what happened in history.

When I finally arrived there everything felt different and almost unreal. The city looks like an ‘ordinary’ Japanese city with tall buildings, wide roads and lots of concrete. But it has a special vibe. You can find small streets, little restaurants and lovely spots along the river side.


***

***

We went to the museum, the Peace Memorial and the Atomic Bomb Dome (the only building that resisted the blast) on the second day. It was a very intense and moving time listening to the volunteer guide who’s family got killed in the disaster …

He showed us the places where you still can see the silhouette of a person sitting on a step, leaning against the wall of a house. You can also see this evidence in the museum, but to see them as a part of the modern Hiroshima lets it appear as real history, nothing you have learned once in history class or read in a tourist guide. It’s there it’s tangible … it’s very sad.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen